Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The STAR MAIDENS (1976) Have Landed!

So... I finally broke down and decided to step outside my comfort zone a bit, and ordered the 1976 Anglo-German sci-fi series, Star Maidens, on DVD from the UK (can Blake's 7 be far behind?). It showed up yesterday, and so far, I've only watched two episodes.

It's a weird one, no doubt - resembling a Teutonic sex farce produced by Gerry Anderson. Of course, Anderson had nothing to do with it, but the presence of Space: 1999 designer Keith Wilson certainly contributes to the resemblance.

In fact, so far, it's Wilson's designs, the Old School miniature effects and funky 70s musical score that appeal to me the most. That, and recognizing the exterior Black Park forest locations from all the great Hammer Films gothics (the show was shot at Hammer's Bray Studios home, too).

I keep reading that show re-used Space: 1999 sets and props, but I've seen no evidence of that myself (yet). Would Anderson/Lew Grade actually have let 1999 stuff be rented out, especially when they were still planning a  second season/series? Would they really have schlepped sets from Pinewood over to Bray? (Of course, as a Yank, I have no idea where those two studios are, geographically speaking, in relation to each other.) Not knowing the answers to those questions, I still suspect that people are just recognizing the very distinct hand of Wilson in both shows' design. Of course, as I see more episodes, I may have to revise that opinion.

The show consists of 13 half-hour episodes, so it shouldn't take me long to get through them. Look for a review one of these days (hopefully, right after I finally post my promised Invisible Man  article).

0 comments:

Post a Comment