Wednesday, July 11, 2012

KING KONG (1976) Burger Chef Glasses

One of the biggest genre movie events of the 1970s was the Paramount Pictures remake of the 1933 fantasy epic, King Kong, produced by Dino de Laurentis and directed by John Guillerman. It was released in the U.S. Christmas week, 1976, and although the movie was ultimately not considered much of a commercial nor artistic success, it was heavily marketed and merchandised. There were tons of toys, posters, coloring and activity books, and more - including a variety of fast food franchise premiums.

We didn't have Burger Chef restaurants in Maine when I was growing up (and as far as I know, not before or since, either), so I never got my grubby mitts on any of these commemorative soda glasses, decorated with the various John Berkey promotional images created for the film.

My own history with the 1976 Kong is a vivid memory, and I'll have to write about it here at Space: 1970 one of these days. And, for the record, I actually kinda like the movie. I'll write about that here, too, eventually.

0 comments:

Post a Comment