Tuesday, July 17, 2012

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (1978) Books

The Battlestar Galactica Scrapbook came out around the premiere of the series on ABC, and was less of a "Scrapbook" than it was a fairly in-depth (though written for teenagers) behind-the-scenes volume. I still have my copy, though it's been ages since I last looked through it. One thing I do remember, though, was the interesting tidbit that the flying Viper-styled motorcycles that showed up in Galactica 1980 were on the drawing boards back when the original pilot was made. A chapter of the book described them alongside the tank-like Landram as one of the ground transport vehicles available to the Colonials.

The book was lavishly illustrated with B&W photos (some of which I've never seen anywhere else), plus an 8 pg color section. It was one of the better pieces of original Galactica merchandising, at least from my point of view, because it did actually get into the nuts and bolts of the production.

This hardcover withe the familiar Robert Tannenbaum Galactica key art on its cover, was a 90-page  kid's "novelization" of the pilot film, credited to author Charles E. Mercer and Glen A. Larson, and was fully illustrated with color stills. I never had a copy of this one, though I have thumbed through a copy or two at conventions.

0 comments:

Post a Comment