Thursday, November 15, 2012

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (1978) Photostory

"This is not a book!" Ahhh... a true artifact of the pre-home video 1970s -- the photo novel (or, in this case, "Photostory." I guess Bantam Books had the "Fotonovel" trademark sewn up). Yep,  fumetti-styled comic adapations of television shows and movies in handy paperback format so fans could kick back, play their soundtrack LPs, and re-experience their favorite flicks, all in the comfort of their own homes.

Here are the front and back covers of Berkley Books' "Photostory" of the Battlestar Galactica pilot film, with illustrated with "more than 700 exciting live-action scenes!"

I don't have this one (CORRECTION: I do now. My wife just bought me a copy off Etsy.), but I do have the first half-dozen or so of the Star Trek "Fotonovels" that Bantam Books published around the same time, which really kicked off this particular vein of sci-fi tie-in. These things were really popular for a few years there at the end of the 70s, but faded fast once VHS home video players came along.

0 comments:

Post a Comment